Deconstructing Advertisement
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deconstructing Advertisement: Critiquing Advertisement

+18
Christian Japhet
Nichol John F. Famadico
AdrianDiegoPrado
JasonG
Reniel.Lacanilao
alfonso.yahra01
bayaban_romela
Carl Padama
austriaced
gilbertrodil11
Kookie
Gel
mau
neil
kc
ellaelaeh
jnnydanyeow
Admin
22 posters
Go down
JasonG
Guru

Deconstructing Advertisement: Critiquing Advertisement - Page 3 Empty Re: Deconstructing Advertisement: Critiquing Advertisement

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:02 pm
What is your favorite advertisement?
AdrianDiegoPrado
Guru

Deconstructing Advertisement: Critiquing Advertisement - Page 3 Empty Re: Deconstructing Advertisement: Critiquing Advertisement

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:08 pm
Is there a punishment for false advertisements?
AdrianDiegoPrado
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:09 pm
Why do companies falsely advertise their products?
Nichol John F. Famadico
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm
It really amazed me that there's a field focusing on the study of signs.
AdrianDiegoPrado
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:11 pm
mau wrote:Who coined the term semiotics?
Charles Sanders Peirce
Nichol John F. Famadico
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:11 pm
Do you think advertisements promote consumerism?
AdrianDiegoPrado
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:12 pm
Can we determine if something is falsely advertised?
AdrianDiegoPrado
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:12 pm
What can we do about false advertisements?
AdrianDiegoPrado
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:13 pm
What is the difference between signs and symbols? Are they the same?
Nichol John F. Famadico
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm
I critique advertisements based on their honesty about the product they show.
Christian Japhet
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:16 pm
Are there positive effects even if we don't understand the lesson?
Christian Japhet
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:17 pm
Though there are few things that are'nt clear to me but I can still see the main idea.
Christian Japhet
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:18 pm
The lesson is kind of new to me and there are some words that I don't know before but now I know
louieairvinsaway
louieairvinsaway
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:52 pm
Admin wrote:Semiotics is the study of signs, how they work and how we use them.

Semiotic analysis can be done to any media text to explore it’s underlying meanings.

1. Images
One of the most frequent symbols used in advertising is the visual image of the product being sold. Some images don't even have to be of what's being promoted. Instead, a commonly associated symbol will suffice. For example, a picture of a skull and crossbones next to a pack of cigarettes could be used to advertise the harmful nature of cigarette smoking.

2. Text
Text can also be used to serve as a symbol in advertising in the same way that an image is used. Frequently one word will convey a message with the same effectiveness as an entire picture.

3. Sound
Symbols do not have to be visual in nature. They can be audible, as well. Music, for example, is a sort of universal language that advertisers use to convey the mood of their message. The actual content of the music itself can also be a symbol for an advertised product or message.

4. Process
The use of semiotics in advertising is in many ways a process. Semiotics employs the use of repeated symbols that eventually come to signify the product. The message's effectiveness can still be instantaneous, but the branding that takes place by introducing such a symbol will generally take months, if not years, to establish. Advertisers do this, not only through repetition, but also through the combining of symbols, bringing words, images and music together into one meaningful and coherent composition.

What is the most used type of advertisement?
On your own ,how would you critique an Advertisement?

I would critique an Advertisement based on how it successfully conveys its real message because there are some that has underlying messages that tricks people to consume their products.
CsaTolentino
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm
I critique advertisements by knowing the message it conveys, whether it is appropriate or not based on what it offers, and if it reaches the target audience.
louieairvinsaway
louieairvinsaway
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:55 pm
What about you, how would you critique an Advertisement?
CsaTolentino
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:56 pm
what is the importance of studying semiotics for us, students?
CsaTolentino
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:58 pm
How should one critique an advertisement based on your topic?
CsaTolentino
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:01 pm
austriaced wrote:Advertisements are used by businessmen in order to get their products known to the general population. So, why should we dig deeper than whats necessary and analyze their ads?

I think it is to be wiser in knowing what are the underlying within the advertisement.
CsaTolentino
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:03 pm
Can we use those information about semiotics in determining whether it is a false advertisement or not?
Rivera.John.Michael.R
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:51 pm
How can we determine if an advertisement is a fact?
Rivera.John.Michael.R
Guru

Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:58 pm
What is the other types of advertisement?
SJAreola
Expert

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:23 pm
Carl Padama wrote:Is it really a must to criticize an ad?

yes, for me, it is my first basis of my decision making in buying producs
SJAreola
Expert

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:23 pm
SJAreola wrote:
Carl Padama wrote:Is it really a must to criticize an ad?

yes, for me, it is my first basis of my decision making in buying producs

*products
SJAreola
Expert

Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:44 pm
JasonG wrote:What is your favorite advertisement?

nakakalss na shoppee pi pi pi Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum